I arrived in Victoria a “donkeys age” ago. I came for a visit and just never went back. For me, it was love at first sight. Everywhere you look there is beauty. The ocean, the mountains in Washington state, Sooke hills, downtown Causeway, beauty is everywhere. Any place that hangs blooming flower baskets from the lamp posts each summer can’t be all that bad so I decided to stay.
And now I enjoy sharing my city with everyone who comes to stay or play. It’s the best place in the world.
The island factor will raise its head constantly, in ways you won’t think of.
- You can’t escape (it’s an island)
- No one can visit (same as above)
- Real estate is crazy expensive especially with respect to average incomes.
- Ferries: If you want to get off the Island often, this is expensive and time consuming.
- Food costs are high because just about everything is brought over by Ferry
- You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than finding a family doctor who is accepting patients
- Living here, you won’t have the advantages of a big city where you can step out your door and be presented with a huge menu of options
- A lovely small city which seems to have engulfed the population with its smallness of vision and seemingly proud of it.
- Everyone already has all the friends they need (unless they are new to the city) and although friendly enough, speaking when spoken to, don’t expect to be invited to Sunday dinner.
- If you are from a large city you will miss quality shopping and nightlife
Your Mileage May Vary